Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Events of the last few days

Over the last few days I've been engaged in a debate with an idividual who is for Prop. 8. I was amazed at my response to her posts. I've never been political in my life, but after reading her posts, I could no longer sit idly by. I cant fundamentaly understand how a lawyer could argue for Prop 8. Further, I fundamentally cant understand how anyone would vote for Prop. 8. I can understand how people can be misguided in their support, but given the chance you can show them how their reasoning is flawed and convince them to reevaluate their position. However, I've decided there is a group of people who can't see beyond their own thoughts and ideas. They can't view how the other side thinks, or feels. I personally never fully understood discrimination until I was personally faced with it myself. Its amazing how an event like this can open your eyes to how other people think and operate. I can understand why someone of faith would disagree with gay marriage, I can understand why they would disagree with domestic partnerships, etc. etc. But where my disconnect comes is that given a reasoned argument, or even an elevated level of education, how they can't see that their strongly held belief is wrong. Even more how they can reason themselves into believing that their argument is actually correct, when it is clearly wrong.



Removed from that debate, I also just cant understand why people wont just leave others alone. It will not hurt anyone if gays are allowed to marry. If they arent, it hurts only gays. Why can't people just treat others equally? Why can't people just respect others points of view? Only in a perfect world I guess.

1 comment:

Nate W. said...

Hey,

Just wanted to thank you for coming and posting on our blog. I appreciate your comments.